Monday, October 02, 2006

5 Things Feminism Has Done For Me

I just got nailed by Eugene,

http://plawiuk.blogspot.com/ for the feminist list I guess I was always a kind of proto-feminist. Being an “outsider”, I thought the way women were supposed to be in 1950's society as one more aspect of the general insanity. So when the Women's Liberation Movement developed in 1968, it seemed natural to me. I guess that is number one, boiled down to “It is an extension and development of my being.” Secondly, feminism has made me aware of the great riches that lie in women's writing, poetry, art and music. What an immense gift that is! Thirdly feminism has given me a broader understanding of the need for action when seeking human liberation. It is not enough for us to aim for economic democracy and political liberty. To be free we must struggle for social liberty as well, gender must not oppress and exploit gender and anyone who thinks they can be free in a misogynist world is living a sordid fantasy. Fourthly, feminist archeology and anthropology has given me a deeper understanding of the origins of authoritarianism and provides hope with the evidence that complex civilizations existed without brutal patriarchy. Fifthly, Feminist psychology and spirituality has given me a greater understanding of the authoritarian personality and how to deal with it, as well as bolstering my long-held view of the inter-connectedness and sacredness of all existence.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interestingly enough understanding and embracing the feminist perspective has done all the same things for me too. It especially gave me an understanding of my own authoritarian personality and how to deal with it and that was important because I'm a girl. ;)

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Blogging Change
BCBloggers Code: Progressive Bloggers Site Meter