Thursday, October 22, 2015
The vast majority of us are breathing a sigh of relief that the Harpercons are no longer in power. The Liberals out-foxed the NDP by moving to the left of that party on economic issues. The NDP talked of balanced budgets while the Libs talked of the need to get things running again. Big mistake for the NDP. The Greens never made their break through as the voters stampeded to the Libs to get rid of the Conservatives. The Liberals are promising much - getting serious about climate change and the First Nations, building coop and affordable housing, democratizing our political system, restore protection to the waterways, legalizing pot, building public transit, funding the CBC, maintaining Canada Post home delivery and many other progressive - and needed - things. The question is, will they act on this or just waffle? Only time will tell, but the Libs have an overwhelming majority, plus for any progressive actions ought have the backing of the three relatively left parties, (by today's standards) the NDP, Greens and Bloc Quebecois. The Libs plus the other three parties have 239 seats compared with the Cons 99 so they could do whatever they want. The only thing needed is the will to do so.
Friday, October 02, 2015
The 2015 Canadian Federal election
After a summer of being behind in the polls, the Harpercons are now ahead, after playing the “fear of Muslims” card. Of course, 32% isn't any kind of ringing victory, but our bizarre and undemocratic “first-past-the-post” electoral system would convert that figure into a minority government. If the Harpercrit and his minions are able to bump that figure anywhere past 36% they would be in majority territory, and if that happens you can kiss your arse good bye as far as what remains of humanity, democracy and decency in this country. What a system that allows 36% of the voters to bully the other 64%!
This election may well be a cross roads. If we can't vote out the most retrogressive government in modern Canadian history what can we do? The inability to change course, even though the vast majority of the population desires this, indicates that the system is broken. And with another Harpercon regime, it will become even more broken.
The only alternative is revolution! Yeah, right... If people can't get it together to eliminate their worst tormentors electorally, you think they are going to grow a spine and overthrow the system? Of course, as the Cons wreck society, attack First Nations and generally maintain a plunder-based economy, there will be a rise in protest and civil disobedience. But will it be enough to make the changes we need? There is little time left, given the pace of global warming. If we had another 50 years, fine, no problem, but we don't. We need to make those changes now.
The only “alternative” is collapse. Capitalism and the state are too boxed in by their own contradictions to make revolutionary change possible. The environment, the social, political and economic systems continue to degrade until the point of no return. Like the Mayans, the survivors, if there are any, abandon the “temples” and return to a simpler, human scale and environmentally saner reality.